Tuesday, September 15, 2009

September 12, 2009

Derek and I had talked about this day a while back. We knew it was coming...we were just so busy that...we both kinda...forgot!!!


Maybe it was the AWESOME surprise party that Grace threw for Frank's 30th birthday...




Nothing like a day at the ball park!




WRIGLEY FIELD...of course!!!





Nicely done Grace...he was so surprised!



A private, Mezzanine Suite/sky box to celebrate!


Maybe we were star struck from sitting 2 boxes away from Alyssa Milano...




Maybe we were even more excited about sitting RIGHT NEXT to The Fray...




We went home to clean up and get ready for the U2 concert. Derek showered, I ate a pear... it ALWAYS takes me back. The taste of a pear. I don't eat them often, but when I do, it takes me back in a second...


8 years old. The first meal back home from the hospital. Saturday. Lunch time.
Turkey Sandwich. 3 pieces of turkey. 2 pieces of white bread.

Milk. Measured out exactly. 1 cup. 2%.

Cooked carrots. Measured out exactly. 1/2 cup.

1 PEAR.


It still didn't dawn on me!!!



Off to the concert we went...





What a way to end the night...concert at Soldier Field.










The stage was set.






Snow Patrol opened...wearing a Bears shirt...how perfect!




Out they came...U2!!!




Maybe it was the words they were singing...




I'm not afraid

Of anything in this world

There's nothing you can throw at me

That I haven't already heard

I'm just trying to find

A decent melody

A song that I can sing

In my own company


You've got to get yourself together

You've got stuck in a moment

And now you can't get out of it

Don't say that later will be better

Now you're stuck in a moment

And you can't get out of it


And you are such a fool

To worry like you do

I know it's tough

And you can never get enough

Of what you don't really need now

My, oh my


You've got to get yourself together

You've got stuck in a moment

And you can't get out of it

Oh love, look at you now

You've got yourself stuck in a moment

And you can't get out of it


And if the night runs over

And if the day won't last

And if your way should falter

Along this stony pass

It's just a moment

This time will pass


Maybe I felt like I was stuck in a moment.

Maybe I felt like I needed to get myself together.

Maybe I'm a fool, for worrying like I do.

Maybe I knew this would eventually pass.


The music was amazing.

The cool breeze was blowing.

...And it FINALLY hit me!!!


It was September 12, 1989...

An anniversary.

20 years of living with Diabetes.


I got a little emotional, as I often do...but thought, "What a perfect day!"

A busy, exciting, packed day of celebrating.

Diabetes did not get in the way of the day.

Sure, I had some high blood sugar readings and got real thirsty at some point.

...but I was happy to end the day, thinking back and celebrating...

20 healthy years!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment